Sniglet je neologizam, popularizovan od komičara/glumca Rich Hall tokom njegove karijere 80-ih na HBO komediji Not Necessarily the News. Svaka epizoda je prikazivala redovan segment o snigletima, koje je Hall opisao kao "any word that doesn't appear in the dictionary, but should" (sh. bilo koja reč koja se ne pojavljuje u rečniku, ali bi trebalo). Hallovi sopstveni snigleti, zajedno sa podnescima fanova, su prikupljeni u nekoliko tomova, počev od "Sniglets" i "More Sniglets".
Mnogi snigleti su portmanteau reči, u komičnom stilu često pripisivanom da potiče od Lewis Carroll-a.
In a 1990 interview, Hall was asked if the "Sniglets books [were] completely for comic value?" He answered,
||Yeah. Well, no. I wouldn't say they're completely for comic value. I mean, I get letters from schools all the time saying how they've incorporated a sniglet book into their reading program. You can look at a lot of the words and sort of break them down into their etymological origins. And you can learn a lot about how and where words derive from. When you assign this frailty of human nature a word, then the word has to work. It has to either be a hybrid of several other words, or have a Latin origin, or something.
Ovom članku nedostaju izvori (web stranice, literatura i sl). Pomozite Wikipediji dodavanjem odgovarajućih izvora članku.
- Toastaphobia: The fear of sticking a fork in a toaster even when it's unplugged.
- Adam 69: Two police cars, parked next to each other, facing opposite directions, in such a way that the drivers' side doors are only inches from each other, allowing the officers to chat with each other while waiting for a traffic violation to happen.
- Anniversorry: The act of buying presents, especially diamonds, to make up for a forgotten anniversary.
- Sark: The marks left on one's ankle after wearing tube socks all day.
- Pre-autoistic McConsumption: The tendency to start eating your french fries in the car on your way home.
- Idiot Box: The part of the envelope that tells a person where to place the stamp when they can't quite figure it out for themselves.
- Ancinemation: The curious act of waiting in line to see a movie and watching exiting movie goers' reactions to see if they liked the movie or not.
- Downpause: The split second interruption of rain as you drive your car under a bridge.
- Lactomangulation: Manhandling the "open here" spout on a milk carton so badly that one has to resort to using the "illegal" side.
- Televator: The rolling line on a TV when the Horizontal hold isn't adjusted.
- Alcolean: The point just before a drunk person starts to stumble.
- Cinemuck: The sticky substance on the floor of a movie theater.
- Nerkle: Someone who leaves their Christmas lights/decorations up all year.
- Doork: A person who tries to enter through a door clearly marked 'Exit'.
- Magnacarta: The lonely car in lot that always attracts shopping carts
- Idiolocation: The spot on the map marked "You are here."
- Icealanche: The avalanche of ice that occurs when a glass or cup is tipped up to drink the last of the liquid.